Episode nine: Get Plants by Katherine Price
After the hubbub of the Chelsea flower show, On The Ledge goes back to basics this week: I interview writer and gardener Katherine Price, who is on Twitter as @wildsuburban, about her new book Get Plants: How to Bring Green Into Your Life, published by Kew - it's out today, in fact!
As well as finding out all about Katherine's new book, we major on succulents, find out how to pronounce "kalanchoe" (I can't ...), the symbolism of the sempervivum and how to get in tune with your plants. There's a full list of the plants we mention below, plus details of our question of the week.
Plants we mention ...
- Sempervivum tectorum aka houseleek aka welcome-home-husband-however-drunk-you-be
- Aloe polyphylla aka spiral/many-leaved aloe (seeds available from Chiltern Seeds)
- Rat's tail cactus aka Disocactus flagelliformis
- Bunny ears aka Opuntia microdasys
- Euphorbia obesa aka Turkish temple
- Aloe vera
This week's question ...
Thanks to my guest Katherine Price; to talented voice artist Mark Hamilton for providing the extra voices you hear in this show; On The Ledge's theme music is Government Funded Weed by Black Ant which is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. You also heard Hot Lips by Bill Brown and His Brownies.