Episode 49: houseplants and Instagram with Kimberley Aston
Whether you're a hashtag natural or tend to get your #Monsteramonday mixed up with #philodendronfriday, Instagram is a bit of a jungle for houseplant lovers: fun to negotiate but sometimes rather confusing. I talk to Kimberley Aston aka @kingstreetjungle, who's a houseplant lover of the Instagram generation, and one of the faces behind smash hit accounts @philomemedron and @therealhouseplantsof_ig. We discuss how to get the best out of hashtags, how to take great photos of your plants, why real houseplant photos should show the unvarnished truth about your plants, and more.
Here's a guide to some of the things we talk about in this episode so you can read on and click through as you listen...
- We talk about the range of hashtags to use with houseplants, including #Monsteramonday, #philodendronfriday, #glasshouses and #aspidistraaddict and Kimberley explains why it's useful to follow hashtags on Instagram - here's how.
- I mention some of my new Peperomias including P. maculosa, P. bangroana and P. prostrata.
- I single out the Aglaeonema picta tricolor meme and the plant knowledge meme on @philomemedron.
- Kimberley singles out Epiphyllum chrysocardium as a plant on her wishlist - check it out on Instagram.
- She also names some of her favourite IG accounts including @jamiesjungle, @foxhollowfarmer and @botanygeek.
- I would also recommend these Instagram accounts to follow - @plantsandcollecting, @arapisarda and @warsawjungle: have a look at this piece I wrote for Gardenista for more suggestions.
How to support On The Ledge
If you like the idea of supporting On The Ledge on a regular basis but don't know what Patreon's all about, check out the FAQ here: if you still have questions, leave a comment or email me - email@example.com. If you're already supporting others via Patreon, just click here to set up your rewards!
For those who prefer to make a one-off donation, you can still buy me a coffee! A donation of just £3 helps keep On The Ledge going: helping to pay for me to travel to interviews, and for expenses like website hosting and audio equipment. Don't forget to join the Facebook page for news of what's coming up on the show and bonus blogposts!
If you prefer to support the show in other ways, please do go and rate and review On The Ledge on iTunes, Stitcher or wherever you listen. It's lovely to read your kind comments, and it really helps new listeners to find the show.
On The Ledge talks, live show and houseplant chats
I'll be making an appearance at Gardeners' World Live in Birmingham on June 14 on the Blooming Interiors stage - check out the schedule here, and stay tuned as I'll have a ticket giveaway coming up in the next few weeks.
I am also going to be at the Hampton Court Palace Flower Show on the afternoon of July 4 giving talks on houseplants in the roses theatre - do join me if you can. And on the evening of Friday October 26 I'll be bringing a live show of On The Ledge to the RHS London Urban Garden show, with special guests including Alys Fowler and all kinds of leafy fun! Put those dates in your diary NOW!