Episode 38: Perrone's kitchen houseplant tour
I blabber on about houseplants every week on On The Ledge, but I thought it was about time I gave you a room-by-room account of the houseplants I own. I am starting this week with the kitchen, where I have more than 25 plants on the go at the moment.
Here's a list of all the plants in my kitchen, along with some useful links...
- White Dendrobium orchid
- Phalaenopsis x 2 - one pink, no ID, one 'Golden Leopard'
- Monstera deliciosa 'Variegata' seedlings
- Begonia listada - striped begonia
- Begonia maculata 'Wightii'
- Begonia luxurians - palm leaf begonia
- Aloe aristata - lace aloe
- Didymochlaena truncatula - mahogany maidenhair fern
- The stick-on containers I mention are called Stugvik from IKEA, as recommended by Robbie Blackhall-Miles in episode 11.
- Pellionia repens - watermelon begonia (it's not a begonia!)
- Marimo moss balls - I wrote as blogpost about these here.
- Peperomia polybotrya 'Raindrop'
- Pilea peperomioides - Chinese money plant (often confused with 'Raindrop', above)
- Cyanotis somaliensis - pussy ears
- Epiphyllum angulier - fishbone cactus
- Oxalis triangularis - false shamrock
- Callisia elegans - striped inch plant
- Tradescantia 'Green Hill'
- Can anyone ID my air plant, please? See pic below.
Question of the week
Queries about fiddle leaf figs (Ficus lyrata) are always present in my Q&A 'postbag', so I tackle two this week: one from a listener dealing with a fig that's suffering from being planted in too big a pot, and another whose leaves have brown spots on them. There's a good article on gardenista.com about one houseplant lover's struggles to keep a fiddle leaf fig happy, here.
Merch is here!
Visit my Facebook page to find out how to lay your hands on one of my fridge magnets... while stocks last!
News on the newsletter...
My newsletter for February has now gone gone out to subscribers, and it's packed full of useful info for plant parents, including my 'lust list' of plants you are going to be crushing hard on, four incredible plant lover Instagrammers to follow, and links to some excellent resources for the #OTL sowalong. Not signed up yet? You can get your email on the list for the March edition here.
On The Ledge live show and houseplant chats
I am going to be at the Hampton Court Palace Flower Show on the afternoon of July 4 giving talks on houseplants in the roses theatre - do join me if you can. And on the evening of Friday October 26 I'll be bringing a live show of On The Ledge to the RHS London Urban Garden show, with special guests including Alys Fowler and all kinds of leafy fun! Put those dates in your diary NOW!
Buy me a coffee!
If you like the show, please do go and rate and review On The Ledge on iTunes, Stitcher or wherever you listen. It's lovely to read your kind comments, and it really helps new listeners to find the show.
You can also buy me a coffee! A donation of just £3 helps keep On The Ledge going: helping to pay for me to travel to interviews, and for expenses like website hosting and audio equipment. Don't forget to join the Facebook page for news of what's coming up on the show and bonus blogposts!